Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Heaven Is Here







Heaven Is Here by Stephanie Nielson.

Stephanie aka NieNie's story is a well known one, a young Mother with a popular blog. She and her husband were in a plane accident that left them badly injured, Stephanie was burned on over 80% of her body, including her face.

I just finished reading Stephanie's memoir and I would recommend the book to everyone. Stephanie's story is one of faith, perseverance and love.

I have never been completely content with my body and after having Lucas my self image decreased a lot. I wasn't one of those lucky women who's bodies bounced right back and even with a lot of effort to try and lose my baby weight I am still 30lbs heavier than I was before Lucas. It has been really hard for me, depressing at times. Feeling comfortable in my own skin is a daily battle. But Stephie's story has inspired me. Stephanie fought, she fought hard because she had 4 beautiful children at home who needed her and whom she loved so much. She knew it would be hard for her the rest of her life, that she would never look the same and be in physical pain everyday well into the future, but she had the will to live and that she did.

My trials are different to Stephanie's and nowhere near as extreme, but I still find them hard. What I realized though when reading her book is that I would NEVER trade my little boy for the body I used to have. He is my world and worth so much more than fitting into a size 6 again. He is the light in my life on a daily basis.

At times I have even blamed Lucas for so called "ruined" body, and now I realize how awful that is. Lucas didn't ruin my body, he made it the way it is by growing into a healthy 8lb 2oz boy that would bless my life everyday.

Will I still have days where I look in the mirror and feel sad? Of course. Will I still get frustrated when a piece of clothing doesn't fit the way I want it to? Yes. But will I blame my son, or myself? Not anymore. This is who I am and I need to try and embrace it. One day in the next life my stretch marks will be gone and my love handles won't be as big and in the grand scheme of things I probably won't even care.

What I loved about Stephanie's book is that she never blamed anyone for the accident. She was frsutrated with herself for getting on the plane, but she never blamed her husband, their friend who didn't make it, herself and she never blamed God. She held on to hope and faith and prayed her heart out.

If Stephanie can live life with her imperfect body and still be happy and full of joy...so can I.

Thank you NieNie for making a difference in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment